European Commission’s Soil Strategy
Healthy soils are essential to meet climate and biodiversity goals set by the European Green Deal.
As part of the EU Biodiversity strategy for 2030, the Commission’s Soil Strategy will update the current strategy to address soil degradation and preserve land resources (‘land degradation neutrality’).
The new Strategy’s goals are:
- Protecting soil fertility,
- Reducing erosion and sealing,
- Increasing organic matter,
- Identifying contaminated sites,
- Restoring degraded soils,
- Defining ‘good ecological status’ for soils.
Soils are key for organic farmers, and IFOAM Organics Europe will contribute to the Commission’s consultation by 27 April 2021.
Do not hesitate to send your input, studies and relevant documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.