Organics Europe Youth Event 2022
Organic and You(th): Together for sustainable food systems
Organics Europe Youth Event in a nutshell
The Organics Europe Youth Event (OEYE), taking place on 31 August-1 September in Frick, Switzerland, is an event for youth interested and active in organic. It will provide a platform to discuss and learn about the potential and challenges of organic production and its role as a sustainable food system.
The youth event will bring together youth with diverse backgrounds: from farmers to retailers and processors, from activists to politicians. The event will foster cross-fertilisation between different disciplines and generate innovative ideas for the future of organic production.
Participants to the OEYE will grow their professional network, creating a platform where the European organic youth meet.
Organic and you(th)
Organic food and farming are part of the solution to global societal and environmental issues. Its positive effects on our climate, the environment, biodiversity, and animal welfare demand for enhanced knowledge and an organic movement that can shape and empower the future of the organic community.
Are you a young professional, farmer, activist, student, entrepreneur or simply interested in organic food systems? This event is for you! Together, we will discover how the organic movement can inspire change through a wide range of perspectives – from science, business, politics, arts, and practical experiences by young entrepreneurs and activists. We will discuss issues and topics related to sustainable food systems and develop ideas to improve and promote organic food systems.
Want to know more? Watch our Organics Europe Youth Event teasers, and get inspired by young professionals from Argentina, Switzerland and Italy sharing their views and ideas about the organic movement.
What to expect?
You will be inspired through workshops, discussions, speeches, several networking activities & dedicated excursions in Frick, at the heart of Switzerland.
If you want to post about it, here is an example text you can use and adapt!
More information about the programme and registrations can be found below.
Have questions or inquiries? Contact us at email@example.com
DAY 0 – 30 August
DAY 1 – 31 August
DAY 2 – 1 September
When attending the Organics Europe Youth Event, you have the option to participate in an additional overnight excursion on 1-2 September. Tickets can be bought through the common registration portal. The excursion tickets cover transportation, visits, accommodation for the overnight between 1-2 September, and food (dinner on 1 Sept. breakfast and lunch on 2 Sept.) during the excursion.
Each excursion is centred around one challenge to reach a sustainable food system. They showcase different approaches by presenting initiatives, innovative farms and other value chain actors which are taking action today. Through the excursion, you will gain practical insights into potential solution approaches and get to know the Swiss food system. The excursions start after the closing ceremony of the on-site event in Frick and include an organized overnight stay.
The excursions will be carried out in parallel, therefore participants can choose one option. All excursions will start after the Organics Europe Youth event programme on 1 September.
Below you will find the three excursions you can choose from:
Excursion 1 | The role of organic agriculture in combating climate change – Fully booked!
This excursion investigates how the organic sector can adapt and help to mitigate climate change. What are levers of organic agriculture to reduce climate change impacts? Which concrete measures can be implemented on a farm, by a processor or by a trader? And how can the organic sector contribute to more resilient food systems under a changing climate?
- At our first stop, we will be introduced to the project of climate-neutral agriculture in the canton of Graubünden. Location: Cazis
- We will visit then the organic farm of Biohof Gilli which is part of the previously mentioned climate-neutral project. Location: Sufers
- In the afternoon, we will learn more about the close collaboration that the alpine agriculture in the canton of Grisons is building up with the downstream value chain actors, for example, the hospital Kantonsspital Graubünden. In their canteen, they use many local products, process meat from roosters and make various efforts to reduce food waste. Location: to be confirmed
- End of excursion: Basel, 16:30 on 2 September – kindly note that the exact arrival time depends on the traffic situation.
Excursion | Alternative trade relations and fair production
Excursion 2 (former 3) | Chances and challenges of agroforestry systems
This excursion investigates the diverse environmental and ecological advantages of agroforestry systems. By looking at innovative models of agroforestry in Switzerland, participants will receive an insight into agroforestry practices, the motives of farmers to implement such a system and learn also about its challenges. Moreover, the excursion sheds light on the processing opportunities for agroforestry products and discusses the potential of tree crops in general.
- We will start our field trip by visiting the fruit processing farm facility of Arbovitis with a product tasting of their locally produced juices, wines and dried fruits. Location: Frick
- We will then continue our outing with the organic agroforestry farm of Biohof Schär which combines laying hens in a production system with hazelnut orchard. Location: Brittnau
- Last, but not least, we will also visit the organic agroforestry farm Eulenhof which has many years of experience in cultivating and processing fruits and wild fruits in agroforestry systems. Location: Möhlin
- End of excursion: Basel, 16:00 on 2 September
Excursion 3 (former 4) |Taste the Waste: Reducing food waste and creating circular food systems
On average, a third of our food is lost or wasted between farm to fork. Reducing food waste and creating a circular food system are key to reducing the environmental impact of our food system. This excursion provides a deeper insight into the flaws of our current food system regarding the creation of food waste and looks at circular economy solutions. During the excursion, participants visit sites where food waste or by-products are generated and explore innovative solutions that reduce or reuse such products.
- We will kick off the excursion with the biogas plant of the Recycling Energie AG and discover the sheer amount of food waste produced. Location: Nesslnbach
- We will then carry on with the community-supported organic farm, Birsmattenhof, and learn how they try to reduce food waste and by-products with innovative ideas. Location: Therwil
- Finally, we will head towards the social enterprise of Backwarenoutlet that combines the fight against food waste with social economy and shows that every roll counts when saving food. Location: Basel
- End of excursion: Basel, 16:00 on 2 September
Registrations for the Organics Europe Youth Event are open!
Ticket prices are:
- Standard fee – Youth (under 40 years old): 130 CHF
- Standard fee – over 40 years old: 200 CHF
- Reduced fee – Student, unemployed, trainee, other budget constraints (under 40 years old): 80 CHF
- Excursion ticket: 100 CHF (including transportation, visits, accommodation, and food – breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
The Organics Europe Youth Event 2022 takes place in Frick Switzerland. The event is hosted at the Research Institute of FiBL Switzerland.
The event is a 15-minute walk away from the train station in Frick. Frick can be reached both from Zürich and Basel by train. To check the train times and to buy tickets, you can visit www.sbb.ch. Tickets can also be bought at the station at the ticket machines. Participants should arrange their commute to the event location.
We created a list of recommendations for where you can book your accommodation. They are situated in Basel, an hour train ride away from the event location in Frick. If you pre-book a room in a hotel in Basel, you can use public transport right after your arrival. You only need the confirmation of your hotel. In the hotel, you get a pass (Basel card) for all public transport in the city. For more information about the card visit: www.basel.com/en/baselcard
This event is co-financed by the LIFE programme of the European Union, under the under the under the European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA). The sole responsibility for this event lies with IFOAM Organics Europe. The CINEA is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information provided.